Tips for Naming Your Cat
Fuzzy or Snowball?
Finding the right moniker for your furry friend.
Finding the perfect furry friend is usually the easy part — you fall in love immediately as she crawls into your arms. But once you bring your furball home, there’s that age-old question: What should you name her? If you’re scratching your head for a great name, here’s a helpful guide to picking the perfect one.
Get it?! Pop culture names that endure.
Cats are on a pop-culture high right now (hello, furry masters of the internet). So why not give your kitty a part to play in the zeitgeist? Think of your favorite musicians, songs, movies, and books, and see if you think of any great characters or people who might embody your cat’s special character.
Cute, mysterious and memorable:
- Rey: A strong and resourceful female.
- Ghost: Somebody’s a little shy, but sticks to you like a faithful pint-sized protector.
- Chewie: Sports long, luscious fur, talks a lot, and maybe enjoys gnawing on everything.
- Hulk: A great name for a kitty you don’t want to make angry. You wouldn’t like him when he’s angry.
- Nala: Perfect for your little lion.
- Captain: We know who’s in charge around here.
- Buttercup: May the odds be ever in your cat’s favor.
- Tigger: Your tiger-striped baby bounces around, ’cause that’s what Tiggers do best.
- Tom: The original boy-cat name (and star of a long-famous cartoon with his mouse-friend, Jerry).
- Batcat: Does Kitty look like she wears a mask? Is she ready to clean up Gotham (i.e., set things straight in your house)?
So sporty! These names score big.
If you’re often glued to the TV and most of your texts consist of play-by-plays or the latest highlight reel from ESPN, this category of cat names is for you. Think of your all-time favorites, the MVPs, the hall-of-
These names will be a home run:
- Favre: Your cat always loves to play fetch.
- Jeter: Your cat is a ladies’ man (even though he’s spayed, right?).
- Ali: Kitty floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee. In short, the greatest.
- King: Kitty’s got hoop dreams and is going to change the game.
- Mamba: Your cat is loyal to her team and never passes the ball.
- Serena or Venus: She loves to bat toys back and forth.
- Jordan: So cute he should have a line of kicks named after him.
- Mia: A ball of energy who loves to run up and down the field.
- Beckham: She bends it like…you know.
- Tiger: A master of strategy who always hits a hole in one.
Such a foodie. Put it in ma belly!
Are you obsessed with cooking shows? Do you only use single-origin, organic catnip? Do you spend more money on dinner than you do on clothes? If so, you might want to consider choosing a cute, food-related name for your cat. Think of some of your favorite chefs, dishes, spices or flavors to inspire you to choose the perfect name.
Tasty names for Kitty:
You’re a nature lover — and you love Kitty’s nature.
If you love the great outdoors, from finding the best hiking spots to knowing the scientific names for flowers and plants, then consider naming your cat after the natural beauty around you. Think of your favorite gifts from nature — and pass those on to your kitty.
Names that appeal to your cat’s wild nature:
You’ve named your cat, now it’s time to spoil him!
Need a great place to hide your ‘nip? Join the Paw Points® Reward Program, and score enough points to redeem for an awesome Kitty Camper. With the Kitty Camper, your cat will have her very own place to hang out and hide out. Check out the Paw Points® catalog to find other rewards that will be like catnip for you and your kitty.